Homophobia at schools | Teen Ink

Homophobia at schools

Homophobia kills people. The fear to live and the fear to be who you are is pure hell.

People at Arrowhead choose to use rude and judgmental slurs. “That’s so gay” and “hey, f**” are directed at homosexual. Many famous people speak up for those who are afraid to, such as Rosie O’ Donnell, Wanda Sykes, Ellen DeGeneres, Oprah.

People don’t choose to be gay, bisexual, transgender or lesbian. It just happens. Some people may think they’re straight at first and have boyfriends or girlfriends, but later in life, they find out they are gay or bisexual.
People aren’t taught what homosexuals are or what is like to be gay or bi. Many people find it hard to tell their parents about their sexual preference. This drives them to the point where they don’t want to live. Homosexuality should be taught to kids. Do we really have control over what others are or who they decide to be later in life?

For the longest time, doctors tried to treat homosexuality as a disease, something that is possibly curable. It’s not. We now know it is concerned with genes.

Homosexual slurs have been used for the longest time. Even sports members use them to offend others, but according to ballhype.com “Chiefs running back Larry Johnson has been suspended indefinitely while the team and the NFL continue to investigate alleged comments made by Johnson in the 24 hours following the Chiefs' 37-7 loss at home to the Chargers.”

I have been a victim of gay slurs. I have heard everything from, “Hey gay boy” to “What’s up good looking?” from straight guys. Why do people make comments like that when they aren’t gay? I have been teased since I was in kindergarten, when I did not know what being gay was. When I got older, I realized I was different than other people and started looking at pictures of guys. That’s when I figured out that I was bisexual.

Why do we live in such a conservative and non open community? Why don’t we teach our kids what homosexuals are and make it okay to be what you are? Why do we not try to scare our kids away or kill them inside? We have to educate our kids and not keep them in the dark. So keep the gay slurs at home and live your life with an open mind.

i like this piece cus it talks about what others are to talk about so this article is about homophobia

lalagirl said...
i wrote something about the same cause

its called "we are no different"!

anyonymous said...
Did you not read my earlier post? I wasn't trying to tell anyone what they can or cannot be, I am a total supporter of gay -rights. If I offended you, I'm sorry.
Jeez.

on Jan. 27 2010 at 9:53 am
Poet17 PLATINUM, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Be the change you want to be. ghandi

you know what its people like you that make people like us to be what we are in the first place so dont tell me what i can and cant be

Anonymous said...
on Jan. 21 2010 at 9:38 am
So? Who cares if it's not caused by genetics? The point is, it's not reversible. You cannot pray away the gay . And just because someone loves all people, male or female, if the choose to marry someone within their own sex that makes it immoral? That makes it wrong? That makes it ILLEGAL? No wonder America's having such issues.

dirinity SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina

"Certain things catch your eye,
But pursue only those
that capture your heart.
"

there has been many studies on this, but its not to say there is one specific gay gene or genes. There are millions of contributing factors, one of them has been found to be genetics.

LetsEatDinos said...
LetsEatDinos, Fremont, California
Caused by genetics... are you sure this is a tried-and-true conclusion?