My Brother Is Gay This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I found out last year that my brother is gay.

I think my brother always liked me best of my other siblings. He let me tag along with him to Boston, even to New York once. When he was broke around the holidays, he still managed to give me a gift. We have always had a special closeness. We could really talk to each other.

When I found out he was gay, it didn't change my feelings about him at all. Just because he isn't what most people would consider normal, why should I love him any less?

My brother being gay doesn't bother me. What annoys me is when people joke about gays. I'm sorry to say my friends are guilty of this. They don't know my brother is gay, so they don't realize they're hurting me when they make fun of homosexuals. Even my boyfriend, who I always thought was so unprejudiced, teases gays. One of my teachers once said, "Teenage boys make fun of gays because they are beginning to recognize their own sexuality." I hope this is true. It would be terrible to think that we were is going to grow up to be biased leaders.

Please think about my story the next time you are tempted to joke about gays. They are not bad people because of their sexual preference. If someone close to you were gay, would you disown him? I certainly hope you answering "yes" to either of these questions. Remember, we are all made equal and homosexuals are no exception to this rule. n

lkk4209This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I read this story several months ago and really enjoyed it. What print issue was this published in? The last time I checked this hadn't been in the magazine.

ScienceLover said...
That teacher is encouraging the boys to make fun of gays by giving the boys an excuse.  

lkk4209This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
I disagree with your statement. Simply pointing something out is not "encouraging" it.

ellabella said...
Im really happy that you are supporting your brother. I, myself stick up for LGBT, because I am openly bi and I don't want others to be down for their sexuality.

steph95 said...

YOU ARE MORE THAN RIGHT... GOOD ARTICLE

FreedomIsMyVirtue said...
Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:00 am
Well, I have g a y friends and they're fun to be with. I'm not against LGBT people. What if I found out that I myself am LGBT? Would I disown myself? Not realistic... Great article!

andromeda13 said...
i have an aunt who is a lesbian. i love no less. i loved your article, completely true!!! i understand how that can be hurtful when people say those things but just remember they are your friends!!! they don't meen it directly  to your brother and if they do they aren't your friends! 

kenzie011 said...
This is very true, i'm not ashamed. and i wish people didn't crack jokes also.

kaylyn451 said...
that was an amazing story.

AryaDrottningu said...
Good message, but some of your grammar was very confusing. 

COEURDARKO said...
I totally agree. People claim of how'christian' they are, treating all humans the same without any prejudice. Just an unseen fault to the world we live in.

jdeluca said...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:48 am
im a teenage boy and when me and my friends use words or phrases such as "faggot" or "that's so gay" it isn't because we hate gays... we are using words originally referring to homosexuals in a different context. I know they can be hurtful sometimes but when teenage boys say that it isn't because we are all bad people that are going to grow up to be like a Joseph McCarthy and start a "Rainbow Scare"...

Lizzie123 replied...
its still offensive...theres no "different context"....you may think of it that way but its not...

Ambrosia H. said...
Great Work! I always hate it when people say "that's so gay", especially when they say it to insult things I like.

xakemii replied...
That's so sad. I'm glad you are sticking by your brother. Good job, hopefully your friends and boyfriend will learn from you, and stop making such horrid jokes. Good job.

pinksage33 said...
This is really good.

Jacob M. said...
awww thats so great :) being gay myself, its great and inspiring to see others out there being acceptant. It warms my heart. And have you know that you are a pretty great person for your acceptance. Just keep in mind that times are changing and people are becoming more acceptant as homosexuality is becoming more and more talked about.

Locke said...
Three cheers, author. Keep your head up. Things ARE getting better, and it's great to see that filial love wins out in the end.