Not Just Another Face in the Crowd | Teen Ink

Not Just Another Face in the Crowd MAG

By Anonymous

   Have you noticed how almost everyone dressessimilarly, likes the same things and listens to the same music? I have,and it seems as if people are a bunch of robots programmed to thinkalike. With a few exceptions, everyone has the same interests. But thosefew who choose to be individuals stand out in the crowd. I am proud tobe one of those few.

Many people think that to be cool they have todress and like the same things as everyone else. If people can't acceptyou for who you are, they really aren't your friends. I used to try todress like everyone else and like the same music, but then I became anindividual. I now dress in boots, blue jeans and button-up shirts. I nolonger wear the latest style, but what I feel is me. Some people call mea hick, or cowgirl to make fun of me, but to my friends who reallyaccept me, I'm just Jess. If people have a problem with who I am, Idon't want to be their friend anyway.

Have you ever walked down thestreet and seen someone with pink hair, wearing black clothes and blacklipstick? Do you stare, point at them and call them names? I know Ihave, but those people are trying to be individuals. They are trying tosay, "Hey, accept me, I'm human just like you." Some may say they arehungry for attention. Maybe they are, but maybe they are also trying notto be just another face in the crowd. To be your own person you have torespect yourself. If you don't, others never will.

If you'reuncomfortable with yourself, try something different. If you are notinto the current fad, blow it off and do your own thing. Dress the wayyou want, listen to the music you like and do what you are comfortabledoing. Whether it is ballet, rodeo or poetry, do what is you. Don't bejust another face in the crowd.