Interracial Dating | Teen Ink

Interracial Dating MAG

"There's a guy I like who wants to go out with me, but Idon't know if I should because he's black," confided a friendrecently.

I come from a multiracial background (I am AmericanIndian, Asian, black and white) and understand her dilemma. I feel badlythat her family shuns people of another race.

According to onesource, the number of interracial couples in the United States is 1.6million. Golfer Tiger Woods is a product of an interracial relationship;his father is black, his mother Asian. When he fills out the Census thisyear, he'll circle white, black, Native American and Asian. Tiger callshimself "Cablinasian."

"I don't think [race] makesa difference," said one senior who is dating an African-American."It's the first time I'm dating someone who isn't Spanish, but itdoesn't matter to me." Although some students see things her way,there are many who have prejudices against other races and are criticalof interracial dating.

According to one poll, interracial datingis more common in the suburbs and cities (64 percent) than inpredominately white, rural areas (40 percent). It is a trend even Disneyhas noticed. Consider the animated "Pocahontas" and theirremake of the story of Cinderella. The black pop singer, Brandy, playsCinderella and a Philippine-born newcomer is her PrinceCharming.

There are many family feuds because of interracialrelationships. Stereotypes stop people from realizing that good and badqualities are not determined by race.

The Census will bedifferent this year because instead of being forced to choose only onecategory of race - Asian, black, white, American Indian/Alaska Native

or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander - people of multiracialdescent will be able to check all that apply. This is the first majorchange in the Census in 20 years, and is long overdue.

I amhopeful that in the coming years, mixed couples won't have as manyproblems as they do now. Perhaps with this Census change, and morepeople like Woods in the limelight, interracial relationships will bemore widely accepted.

looks it just means that they were BROTHERS and able to make any type children WHEN mixing. IT is happening again as seen on the News. iF you believe in evolution (I d'ont ) it basically says the same thing And science comfirm the BIBLE .
God “Hath made of ONE BLOOD ALL NATIONS of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; that they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: for in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, for we are also his offspring.” ACTS 17:26 KJV

rubylue BRONZE said...
rubylue BRONZE, Beeville, Texas

''to be or not to be that is the question''

personaly i see nothing wrong for dating outside your race but there are some people who think differently and sometimes they make no sense on a reason why, a guy i knew was white and im a mexican native american he asked me out a lot and i always said no one day he came up to me if my brother (also my race) was dating this white girl i told him yes and he looked at me funny and said it was wrong i asked him why considering the fact he wanted to date me and he couldent think of a reason why , its just people like that who really get my nerve

Ravenclaw94 said...
I once dated a boy who was Nicaraguan and we were perfectly happy until one of my friends texted me saying they thought it was "morally wrong" to date people who aren't White. They also said interracial relationships "never work out anyways". I was stunned by my friend's thoughts because this person was usually an overall great girl. I told her that I reps ted her opinion but didn't agree with it; it isn't wrong, and many people from different backgrounds get married and have children. I think the mixture of culture between different races is extraordinary. I'm not saying everyone should date someone who isn't their race (I've dated boys who are White, too) bit if you love someone, I don't think something stupid like ethnicity be the obstacle. We are all people and nothing changes that.

Love between different races is great... but the problem is that it seems almost no one is willing to try it out! People automatically are drawn to others of the same religion, or race, or stature. Maybe one day everyone will be able to get passed the enitial biased.

I agree love is love, but what about culture? As an example, I myself am Christain,do you think it would work out if I were to date an Atheist? No it would not. In todays time people have shaped it to where those of different races are also those of different cultures.

on Mar. 24 2010 at 12:54 am
SavvyLane PLATINUM, Peoria, Illinois

"If youre a bird, Im a bird."

I dont think it should matter. Love is love. I have so many feelings on this issue I could vent all day.

Kara_333 said...
Kara_333, Peabody, Massachusetts

Lookin like a fool with ur pants on the ground

I dont see the problem tht evryone has with this. My Daddy is black, and my Mom is White. they're perfectly happy, im perfectly happy, and when people have a problem with it, i tell them to shut the hell up, because it isnt physically hurting them, and not to make a big deal out of it, if they hav a problem, cuz its not their bussiness