A New Haircut This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unknown
   Recently I decided to chop offall my hair. It was down to my elbows, but not many people knew that since Inever took it out of the bun that grew larger every day. It was a pain to fixevery morning, and I jokingly thought I should shave my head. After repeatingthose words, I settled for cutting my hair short. I asked many friends' opinionsand then made the appointment.

I walked into the salon and suddenlyfeared how bad my hair might turn out. It certainly didn't help when myhairdresser frowned and shook her head the whole time she was working, or whenthe old lady behind me screamed, "Don't do it! Your hair is sobeautiful!" Ignoring them, I sat in the chair and took a deep breath. Myhairdresser braided my hair and cut the whole thing off so it could be donated toa cancer center. She then began snipping little bits off my head, and I urged herto make it shorter.

When it was finished my heart sank, because it wasthe opposite of what I wanted. She blew dry my hair and I almost passed outbecause my hair suddenly looked like my mother's. It figured, since my mom getsher hair done by the same woman. When I left I ran into a drugstore and picked upall the styling gels I could find in order to save my dignity. When I got home, Iwashed my hair in the sink for the very first time in my life. I used one of thegels, and decided I loved my new look. It was messy and curly, but it had sort ofa cute and carefree look to it.

Overjoyed, I called some friends and weall went to the mall. I suddenly felt giddy, and had an urge to buy pink andyellow clothes. Previously I had refused to wear such colors and stuck to grays,blacks and maroons. I also bought skirts, hats and summer clothes. Back inschool, I find I have been walking with my head up, whereas I used to focus onthe floor to avoid eye contact. I am no longer afraid of what other people thinkof me, because I feel so good about myself. Many don't like my new hairstyle, butI don't care because I couldn't be happier, and the convenience is astounding. Asimple haircut has changed my whole outlook, which doesn't make sense, but I amreaping the benefits. Maybe everyone needs a new haircut sometimes.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Maximum.Ride This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 25, 2011 at 9:56 am:
I don't know why, but I just loved this article! I have really long, thick hair, and I've always been afraid to cut it... maybe I will now!