End the Battle of the Races | Teen Ink

End the Battle of the Races MAG

By Anonymous

   Today, racism is moreand more a concern. It is often unseen and unheard, but racial tension stillexists between ethnic groups. I have observed how different races condemn oneanother, as though one race is superior. I know what it feels like to think I'mthe superior, but I'm not. It's terrible to see how racially proud people canblow the boundaries out of proportion.

For example, at my former school,it was common to hear "Go A.P.!" at least once a day, or "Yea, yeaAsian pride!" screamed by somebody, sometimes me. It was like a littleinside thing that only we Asians could share. It's silly now to think it was so"cool" because how did others - non-Asians - feel? We seemed to walkwith an arrogant air that said "I'm Asian - don't mess with me." It'san ego that's shared among Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Filipino,Cambodians ... all Asians. It's pretty pathetic that we allow it to become such apart of us. It's good to have confidence in who you are, but being prideful isshameful. And, this fault isn't found only among Asians.

I know thathaving pride in who you are is a good thing, because it shows that you haveself-confidence, right? But maybe it's not, since using that strong sense of yourrace to determine who you are makes you feel superior. I don't know about you,but I'd rather be seen as someone with a high self because of who I am onthe inside, not because of what I claim I am. A junior I know describes thesituation, saying, " ... the adjective 'Asian' no longer describes mereethnicity. It describes a state of mind, a manner of behavior. There is the Asianlunch table, the Asian posse, the Asian side of the classroom, the Asian pencilcase, cell phone and pen. While this labeling has generally been consideredlaughable and harmless, few have sought to question whether they reinforce racialbarriers and discriminate by doing so."

It's pathetic how racialpride has become such an issue. Even within Asians, there are ethnic barriersthat create tension. It may not be direct, but sometimes one race is afraid ofanother, or even hates one another. You never hear of one race lovinganother.

Why can't we all get along? I may not love every race outthere, but I'm willing to make an effort to break those barriers. In every schoolin every city of every state, there is some kind of racial pride. It's just notseen and heard as much, because people carry their racial ego like it is whatthey are. Race is only skin deep. Why let it determine who your friends are, andwho you look up to?