The Real Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Being a teenager today is hard enough, but being a gay teenager is a lot harder than many realize. I am 17 and gay. Ever since I was little, I knew I was different from everyone else, but it wasn’t until high school that I knew for sure I was gay. While guys my age were checking out girls, I found myself checking out guys. At first I was scared and didn’t know whom to talk to.

I was afraid my parents wouldn’t love me if they knew, but as I started to deal with the fact I was gay, I eventually came out to them. It was one of the hardest things I’ve done, but also the most important. After I told them, they said, “We still love you and accept you for who you are.” I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Eventually I told some close friends and they supported me, too.

I am lucky to have people in my life who truly care about me. After coming out, I knew that there would be some who would make comments. And yes, what they say can be hurtful. But they do not know me, and when it comes down to it, what do I have to be ashamed of: I am a nice guy, a great friend and a good listener.

It is a shame that some will never get to know me because they are prejudiced against my sexuality. Of course, it is their right to have their opinions, but they should know that being gay isn’t a choice. Who would choose a life that would make people beat you up, humiliate you or even want to kill you because they don’t like your sexuality?

I know not everyone is going to accept me, but I can’t change who I am and I don’t think that I would if I could. I am proud of who I am, and it has taken me a long time to be able to say that. And like the Christina Aguilera song “Beautiful” says, “I am beautiful no matter what they say, words can’t bring me down.

Anon.WriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 7 at 4:40 pm
I am glad that things worked out for you. I want to tell you that I am a Christian and I support you. I have a friend who is gay, as well as a friend who is a lesbian. Christians are usually shown to hate homosexuals, and I just wanted to tell you that this is not always the case. :)

LERRY said...
Jan. 12 at 10:49 am
hii  being gay is not wrong ..it is part of nature...☺☺

Carcar said...
I love this!! the song beautiful gets me through the day

..downpour.. said...
Oct. 22, 2010 at 11:11 am
i totally agree with you on this. i am 14 & im bi. its hard because you dont want people to judge you. but its not like you have purposley chose it for yourself. i totaly undertsnad were your coming from&i love this peice.

krzykrys said...
it's good to hear this because, while im not gay my friends make fun of gay people and i dont think it's right. but if you arent ashamed you should publish ur name. . .

tippytapper said...
Hey, it took me a while to find this because it's anonymous, but once I found it it was worth while!! You totally changed my opinion on this topic, and i do admit that before i read this i was hypocritical. But why publish this anonymously? If you are not ashamed...?