To the Left This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I love being left-handed. I stand out, which makes being a lefty worth it. It’s worth the ink almost tattooed on the side of my hand, the constant bumping of elbows at dinner tables, and softball gloves, fancy cars, and hockey sticks I will never be able to use. It’s worth all that because in one small category of the world, I don’t fit in with the majority.

In every other way, I’m average. I know I should feel lucky that I have a great home, great friends, great family, and an all-around great life. And I am. But sometimes I want to be crazy, wild, have green hair and piercings. When I think of people like that, I take comfort in knowing I have one thing they don’t - a left hand capable of anything. I could sign the next Declaration of Independence, or create a solution to global warming. Whatever I do, I will take pride in knowing that I had to defeat the subtle obstacles that being left-handed presents. I could never drive a stick-shift to work; there are a million scissors in the world made for someone else, and graphite marks are hard to get off skin, but I’ve survived, pathetic a victory as it is, and I love being able to share it. So I will. I wrote this with my left hand.

Kyrah-Luv said...
I'm Left handed and I <3 it

KLM705 said...
I'm not left handed, but I like this message. I like how you notice that even though you are different you can still be on top. Although, there are several activities you can't accomplish, you didn't give up, and you kept your head up high. Bravo.

Bethani said...

I'm left handed too! It's great to hear someone talk about this. :)

kindyxkandy said...
Amazing :)
I too am left handed! But I also have funny colored hair and piercings. I have learned to drive stick, and even can cut better with my right hand, since all we ever have around my house are right handed scissors. I can sign lang. with my right hand fairly decently, but do it amazingly with my left, and best of all, its not awkward to hold a boys hand, especially if he's right handed ;)

Elizabeth M. said...
May 29, 2009 at 2:18 am
you're amazing..

hahah