Black Sheep This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It seems like I am a walking object for stereotypes. With my long black hair, pierced lip, and dark clothes, I’m pretty much a red flag for parents. Every day people stop and stare at my three-inch platform boots and torn skirts with scornful eyes. My lack of normalcy pushes people to associate me with negative activities. It feels awful to be looked down on based on appearance; I’m sure many others can relate. Adults have hinted that this is all a “phase” and I should consider changing. Teachers practically expect failure from me the moment I enter their room. I am determined to change this idea. All people deserve to be loved and taken seriously for who they are - from the inside out.

Yes, I love black. Yes, I listen to heavy metal music. So what. This doesn’t mean that I spend my time smoking the purity out of my lungs and breaking the law. It doesn’t mean I am an angst-filled teen swimming in a deep depression. And it most definitely does not mean I hate people who aren’t like me. I don’t care whether your hair is black or bleached blond - every person has the right to be who they are. Diversity is what makes this world so beautiful! It kills me to think that someone would fear or dislike me because of the black polish on my nails.

I am a person just like everyone else and I deserve a chance. I’m tired of people, especially adults, looking at me like I’m living in a teenage wasteland. So, the next time you see someone out of the ordinary, give them a chance. They could be your next best friend.

12gageThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 27 at 12:54 pm:
i agruee with you on this, that people who dont wear black or listen to metal or screamo. should not judge you or anyone like you. Stay with the friends who dont judge you, but except you as who you're. i am in the same promblem you're in too, so i know what is going on with you. i wear black alot and iam in a my own way Goth and if someone says something about i just innor them and kept my head up and i dont let peoples thoughts. ruin my way of life i just live it my own way. so can you... (more »)

MiddleAgedWoman said...
Jul. 23, 2010 at 11:51 am:

There will always be people around to judge you - whether you are dressed in black goth or pearls and cardigans. Dress the way you wish and don't give a flying flip what other people think (except maybe for things like job interviews of course). As long as you know that you are acting with good intentions, then other people's opinions don't matter. :)

It's a lot more important to have character and personality and intelligence than it is to have a matching purse and shoes. ;)

TQT91 said...
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I like to hangout with people with your personality and lifestyle. Noone has the right to say stuff like that to you. Just ignore all of it and hang with you're true friends.

wtrgirl4ever said...
You really expressed your theme that no person should be judged on appearancces. Looks can be deciving. To be honest, I have consitered dressing rebel before, but I don't like black. Keep on trying to break down stereotypes!