Women in the Middle East

Being a young woman living in the United States I rarely have my rights being violated. Besides the occasional sexist policies of boys being stronger, better, faster, better at math and science and the breadwinners of a household. Nevertheless, women in America have worked hard to establish high positions of power that are examples to the younger generations of putting men as number one behind us have having equal rights. However, in some parts of the world the rise of women and men having equal or even close to equal rights are few and far between.

In some parts of the Middle East women are treated extremely unfairly. They have little to no say in what they can do, when they can do it, what they can wear, and even whom they can make eye contact with. According to the Koran, the Muslim holy book, women and men are seen as equal. Somehow, in some countries the inequality between men and women is astonishing. Women are not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia among other places. Most of the countries in the Middle East abide by the rule that women have to cover all skin, sometimes covering ever inch of their body from head to toe literally. Also there are very few women who are allowed to drive. The very intense aren’t even allowed to look another man in the eye other than their husband. Some of the harshest rule is on the women in Saudi Arabia, which is being closely followed by Afghanistan.
Unfortunately for the women there, they have to abide by these what is considered ridiculous in America, religious and normal restrictions there. However not all women in the Middle East are restricted to living a free and powerful life. In some countries they are allowed to vote, drive, hold political positions, and many other things that most women in the United States and the world get. The women in the Middle East should be seen as equals as women and men should at all times no matter where in the world they are. I believe that no matter what gender, sex, race, ethnic group, and sexuality, whatever that we should all be treated as equal. Because honestly what sets us apart anyway? The color of our skin? Our body features? We are all the same and should be treated like it. Women need to stick up for themselves and stay true to who they are and what they believe in, they deserve rights no matter where they live.

TheWhiteFlower said...
Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:44 am
I understand what your trying to say! But women in the Middle East actually have more rights than you think!

Ninz59 said...

I agree, but its not in all middle eastern countries. 

Like Palestine, Youre free just like if you were living in America, A girl can do whatever, people make talk about her if she commits adultery or something like that, Yes, because it isnt allowed in Islam, but they dont have to be covered or anything.

& the quran doesnt say they cant vote, be in high positions or anything, they are allowed to do so, its the countries, not the religion.

toxic.monkey said...
you should read "A Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. It's a pretty astonishing dystopia about how USA degrades into an anti-feminist society.

floaton said...
Oct. 23, 2009 at 3:37 am
for it is not this way in most middle eastern coutries. i know. woman are seen as equals inmost middle eastern countries, it is only saudi that is so strict. this is because of their governemnt, not our holy book nor our region.

Ambrosia H. said...
Sept. 28, 2009 at 1:10 am
I don't see why you hold back. Women are treated CRAPPY, to say the least, in the middle east. I hope there s a revolution... of course, they would be brutally murdered for it and that would trigger a world war...or something complicated like that.

toxic.monkey replied...
There was a revolution in Iran. An Islamic one. Things don't always work out well and the age of revolutions has passed (or if it hasn't humanity has learned nothing in the last century). The only way to figure this thing out is by letting it come from the country itself or by negotiating, informing, asking them to change their ways for the sake of equality.

Genya This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

I still believe in revolution!

When the going goes too far, the too far gone start a revolution.

Wolf-Woman said...
Sept. 11, 2009 at 11:15 am
Right on sister! Women every where deserve the same rights as the women here in America. I might not live in those areas where women are treated, but I've read quite a few books on it...like Princess. Those women have a rough life and I feel for them. Something should be done. It's frivilous that a women can't even look another man in the eyes besides their husbands. Dont they even somtimes get stoned for it??

Fayrouz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
No, they don't get stoned for looking a man in the eyes. They get stoned if they commit adultry (meaning they have sex with another man) AND THEY'RE MARRIED. And it's also reciprocal for the man; he gets killed to IF HE'S MARRIED. If they're not married, it's a different punishment. And nowadays, even in many countries where most are Muslims (with the exception of Saudi Arabia and may be others), that is lessened and they might just get jail for life.

Lilx21 replied...
Well Ive heard in some countries that some women are stoned for just looking at another man even if they are married. How do you know what goes on or dosent? And i highly doubt anything does happen to the men. Nothing ever happens to them.

Houda A. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You are partly right; Islam isn't the Muslims. The Qu'ran says nothing about driving and voting. However, you make it sound so horrible that they have to cover themselves. People in the West always picture a woman covering themselves in a black abaya. I am a Muslim and I wear the hijab, and not since I have worn the hijab have I worn a black headscarf more than twice. People in the Middle East might act that way in certain countries because of their traditions. I agree with Sunshineyda... (more »)

Sunshineyday said...
I LIKE YOUR ARTICLE! The laws are not religous, they are strictly political. I am Muslim, I would know. People simply have twisted interpretations of the holy text. And what's worse? They force you to follow it their way, even if you think they have misenterpreted your religion.