The Morality of Homosexuality | Teen Ink

The Morality of Homosexuality

March 19, 2009
By Anonymous

I figure that it would be good for me to discuss my opinions on homosexuality. This is something that I think about a whole lot because it is something I feel strongly about. I think that I have well developed opinions on the matter, but I generally have trouble putting my arguments and feeling into words. Hopefully, writing this and trying to organize what I think will be helpful for my own thoughts.
The whole issue about the morality of homosexuality makes me very, very angry. I feel this way because as far as I'm concerned, there is no issue. There is absolutely nothing wrong with two consenting people of the same gender having sex, end of story. My morals are far from black and white'I don't dismiss lying and cheating as inherently wrong, and I still can't find a view on abortion that makes me feel entirely comfortable. However, my opinions on homosexuality are very strongly one-sided. There is simply no way homosexual relations can be justified as being wrong. This position cannot be supported by anything rational. Arguments against homosexuality can come only from a source that is entirely irrational.
Religion is what makes people think homosexuality is wrong. In America, the great majority of people are Christian, and I myself know a lot about Christianity from my past experiences, so I'll just talk about the Christian view. I realize that there are people that believe that just the passive trait of being gay is a horrible sin, but these people are simply crazy, and any argument against that position is pretty unnecessary. Therefore, I will talk about the more common stance: It's okay to be gay because God makes people that way sometimes, but it's not okay for gay people to have sex, because that's a sin. It says it right there in the Bible, Leviticus 20:13: 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.' There are some logical problems with this idea. For example: why would God purposefully make people gay and then say they should be chaste? But the real problem lies in the way this quote is used to rationalize positions against homosexuality. To Christians, the Bible is the word of God, so, if it says that gay sex is bad in the Bible, then that's how it is. However, the Bible also says that children should be put to death for being disobedient (Deuteronomy 21:18-21), that working on the Sabbath is an offense punishable by death (Exodus 35:2), and of course that wearing clothes made of two types of material (Leviticus 19:19) or trimming your beard (Leviticus 19:27) is detestable. Nobody believes those other examples are the word of God, so why the one about homosexuality? There is nothing special about the passage on homosexuality. It is simply just another entry in a big list of 'no-nos', but it is regarded as truth while the others are dismissed as exaggerations or outdated laws. You can't pick and choose. How can someone decide what parts of the Bible are the words of God and which ones aren't? The bottom line is that you can't pick and choose you're your god thinks is right and wrong based on what you think. Those passages discredit the entire book, including the parts about homosexuality. The whole situation is a mess, and it makes me glad that I no longer believe in a god or are forced to reconcile religious beliefs with logic and sensible morality.

The only argument against homosexuality is the Bible. Once the Bible is made a void argument, there is nothing. I can't think of any way conventional morals can show gay sex to be wrong. The way I see it, what is right and wrong has little to do with the action itself and everything to do with the consequences. When two people have gay sex, nobody is hurt in any way. Even the Biblical passages give no reason as to why what they condemn is wrong, but people agree simply by default.
I know from personal experience that it is easy to use the Bible as a substitute for a brain. I used to think homosexuality was wrong because of what my parents told me about my religious views. Then I started thinking and I realized how wrong I was. This is why I don't hold anything against people that have a moral problem with homosexuality and oppose gay rights. I have nothing but contempt for their opinions, but the opinions aren't really their own; they are those of old homophobes that lived thousands of years ago and wrote things that somehow managed to have an affect on the world in the present time. Religion catches people and sweeps them away into believing in identical values. When people are told what is irrefutably right and wrong at a young age, they have no reason to question what they see as the right answers. I have a feeling that if there was no religion and people had to come up with their own morals, very few would be against homosexuality, because I honestly cannot think of any situation in which critical thinking and logic could point to the immorality of the practice of homosexuality. Hopefully, people will come to realize this someday.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 79 comments.


eva_writes said...
on May. 23 2023 at 5:53 pm
eva_writes, Carmel, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
Omgosh @Audrey you just read my mind. I 100% agree with everything you stated!!!

on May. 3 2023 at 2:42 am
lottieis_dumb GOLD, Hereford, Other
10 articles 3 photos 176 comments
This is probably the best opinion I have read all week: it's well written, and serves an excellent point. Keep up the good work :)

on May. 1 2023 at 3:16 pm
justarandomguy, Florida, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
don't let people define you, only you can.

This article shows how some Christians use the bible to decide what is good or not. People who are doing that need to stop because the bible isn't always correct.

on Dec. 16 2021 at 6:45 pm
ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii
24 articles 3 photos 150 comments
@the.undying.girl well said, sister. I admire you for your ability to speak out of injustice in a ruthless crowd such as this one. It seems some people still need to do a little soul searching..

on Dec. 16 2021 at 6:43 pm
ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii
24 articles 3 photos 150 comments
@Audrey it's a shame you think that homosexuality is a sin, because if you ever found the person of your dreams and fell in heart stopping love, you'd hate yourself and deny your one true love from yourself, and become disgusted with self and sick and horrified with self when in all reality TRUE love for another human being is all purity and beauty and it would be shame you would end up missing out on it simply because you decided using the bible instead of your brain. I pity you.

on Dec. 19 2017 at 10:43 pm
the.undying.girl PLATINUM, Palmetto Bay, Florida
20 articles 4 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is not measured in the breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away"" -anonymous

y'all in the comments have gotta stop coming after this girl. its biased because its her opinion. she does not victimize LGBTQ+ people in any way, she writes in such way to defend our right to marry anyone we want. Also, no. this is not a call out post to all Christians, but rather, as OC puts it, the ones who "use the bible as a brain". And lastly, to those of y'all who are talking about how your views are opposite theirs saying that your "offended" by what she believes in, grab your outdated views and sensational vocabulary and go huddle around another post about something else you cant tolerate, which Im sure you all have many, because im not having it.

Ellea SILVER said...
on Oct. 20 2016 at 4:52 pm
Ellea SILVER, Touchet, Washington
5 articles 0 photos 16 comments
This article is very hurtful. I am a Christian and I do not come out and attack those who believe that homosexuality is moral. I don't believe it is. Please do not attack someone who hasn't attacked you. For the record, in the Bible it says that in the end times there will be "unnatural affection".

on Jul. 16 2016 at 7:03 pm
Pookie16 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
3 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't be an idiot." - Michael Scott, The Office

You believe in evolution? From an evolutionary point of view, homosexuality in humans doesn't really make sense, does it?

on Jul. 4 2016 at 12:54 pm
LatteMonster SILVER, Durham, New Hampshire
6 articles 10 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I can sum up everything I have learned about life in three words: It goes on."
-Robert Frost

Wow. That's really all that I can think to say to you right now. Seriously? You victimized the LGTBQ community to a fault, then turned around and spat the worst kind of venom in me and my fellow Christians. First off, you presume that all Catholics have the exact same morals. This is both mathematically and psychologically impossible. How do you know for a fact that all Catholics aren't friends with, know, or even is a part of the LGBTQ community? How do you know I myself aren't part of it? And even if we don't, why do you presume that we have it out for fellow man? Yes, I will admit that there are "homophobes" among us, but it is not the entire, or even most, of the population. In conclusion, religion is not the problem. The real problem is the complete lack of empathy both parties have for each other. I know that God has a plan for all of us, but sometimes I wonder why that it has to be so complicated.

Emma said...
on Apr. 29 2016 at 10:47 am
The person who wrote this article clearly feels very strongly about same-sex marriage. And in The Bible it tells you to love everyone, that includes homosexuals. The Bible mentions homosexuality only six times and love over 300 times. I honestly respect your beliefs but please respect mine when I say that God obviously has a plan of the people he creates, and remember he creates EVERYONE. He has a plan for you, me and homosexuals. They aren' the same and we don't know what that is. remember it's only one person who wrote what is above in this article so you can't just take everything out on them it's what they believe is right. I rather choose love over hating on people because of what they are. "Look beneath the surface so you can judge correctly. John 7:24" When I go to heaven I rather God and Jesus tell me I loved to much than not enough.

on Apr. 22 2016 at 10:09 am
Nated315 DIAMOND, Georgetown, New York
92 articles 7 photos 105 comments

Favorite Quote:
Truth has many shades. It's not a matter of black and white, but many grays.

this article seems to be a point of view/opinion so yah... it's biased.... but it sort of is supposed to be.... but don't get me wrong!!!!! I agree with what you're saying! 100%

Nic0le BRONZE said...
on Nov. 23 2015 at 10:39 am
Nic0le BRONZE, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Words without experience are meaningless." - Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

This article, although biased in a lot of areas, does bring up a lot of strong points that the Christian faith fails to address. I like how strongly you feel about this topic; the passion burns through this piece. You managed to spark a lot of controversy, which is good because it gets people thinking! Overall, nice job.

on Jun. 18 2015 at 3:01 pm
Columbus BRONZE, Columbus, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Coffins don't have pockets

I am offended by this article because it is not only prejudiced against Christians, but also religion in general. I am a Catholic and am against same-sex "marriage" and homosexuality. I am not "crazy." God didn't make humans this way, the same as He didn't create humans to kill each other. Marriage is one man and one woman. It always has been, and always will be. I'm sorry that you stopped believing in God. I will be praying for you.

Audrey said...
on Mar. 24 2015 at 4:42 pm
God did not decide to make some people homosexual. God created and intended everyone to have a right mind and act in a way that is pleasing to Him. But when Satan tempted Eve in the Garden of Eden and disobeyed God, that is when sin came into the world and started tempting people. This temptation is what caused same-sex lusts. God did not create it. It is straight from Satan. And the Bible is not a substitute for our brains. I am a Christian and I am thankful God gave his own words for us. Without God's word, we would not have guidance on how to live our lives. I am grateful to have a lifebook full of advice for every situation I am in. It is a book full of love letters from Christ and we should appreciate it. Just as we should appreciate His sacrifice on the cross for us when we are no where near deserving it. I do not judge homosexuals. I love them- just as Jesus does. I accept them but want them to know that is is a false longing to want to be with someone of the same sex. Jesus calls us to love the sinner but hate the sin and that is what I am doing.

on Mar. 10 2015 at 6:37 pm
dsturnea2015 SILVER, Brunswick,
9 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change."

Morals can stay in their place. However, the world moves on.

on Mar. 10 2015 at 6:37 pm
dsturnea2015 SILVER, Brunswick,
9 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change."

Your words were very well written and the point was very solid so yes, you definitely put your feelings into words. I strongly agree with your statement that same sex marriage is nothing to worry about and its not a big deal. I am a christian and do believe in not only gay rights, but human rights for all. Morals can stay in their place, while the world moves on and evolves.

wooldhoot GOLD said...
on Oct. 26 2014 at 1:19 pm
wooldhoot GOLD, Longmont, Colorado
11 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Read any good books lately?"
~Linlee

":D"
~Owen

Why do you get to decide how other people lead their lives? If they choose to marry or love a person of the same gender, how does that affect you in any way? Is the world going to blow up if my best friend marries another girl? Keep in mind that not everybody shares your beliefs. I personally believe in the theory of evolution, and you telling me that my beliefs are wrong hurts. Would you like it if I told you that your creationist views were completely illogical and the mere idea of a God is stupid?    Also, please work on your grammar. It's atrocious.

on Oct. 19 2014 at 9:35 am
LaRomanichelle BRONZE, Howell, Michigan
2 articles 49 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

It is worth mentioning that the Bible has been translated and rewritten dozens, if not hundreds of times. I've read "versions" of it that don't even include half of Leviticus. Human error as eroded and replaced the mission sections, so how could you really be sure that God instended for homosexuality is a sin? None of it was written verbatim in the first place, before all the translations.  There are sixty six books in the Bible, written over a span of 1000 years. And at no point was any of this written in English. It had to be translated. And the English language has changed a lot since the Bible was first translated. Anyone who is bilingual knows English is a very strange language that changes more than most. Also, while there are a lot of congantes and direct translations, there are still idiomatic expressions and words that we have no version of that don't translate. In French, if I wanted to ask something, I'd use the verd demander. Je demande means I ask, not I demand. So then there are false cognates (which I realize people have taken all this into account, but I still think it should be mentioned) And that's between French and English. Greek and English are even less simalear.  I believe over-arching themes in the Bible are intanct. Love your neighbor and Trinity and etc, but when I look at those small details I just think of someone trying to put their own opinions in. The KJV even admits to adding verses in. -This is quite long and I do apologize for that-

EscapeRope said...
on Oct. 19 2014 at 9:27 am
EscapeRope, Cavite, Other
0 articles 0 photos 36 comments
You have a point, but please write properly.

n017 said...
on Oct. 15 2014 at 7:24 pm
Nommoc I agree with you. Everyone has their own tests and challenges that they face. You just have to keep strong and keep believing.