The Locked Stall | Teen Ink

The Locked Stall

Enter the ladies room. Finally! You're alone. No one else is with you and you enter the stall. You have to do it after all that food. After some stimulation you can feel the vomit coming and you let it run.

This is what millions of young women across America are doing to reach the "perfect weight". We criticize them and laugh at them when we hear things such as "...just one stomach flu until my goal weight" on the Devil Wears Prada, or laugh when we see girls throwing up in Pink's music video, "Stupid Girls".

But if people actually cared, why are the only girls on the cover of Vogue or Cosmopolitain bone-thin stars? Why are plus sized models in the last few pages of a magazine, if there at all.

If we want anorexics and bulomeics to stop the dangerous things they do, making fun of them is not the way to do it.

The way we do it is removing the sexist images of society, talking to girls at young ages and giving them self esteem, and letting the concerns of young women with these problems be heard.

PurpleFeather BRONZE, Canton, Connecticut

"The pen is mightier than the sword." - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

I think you are so right about this, and i have been thinking about this very thing for a very long time. I think that we need to get the word out to girls that they just need to be OKAY with themselves. and if there's something about thier body that they think is inadequate, they just need to tell themselves, "Yeah, this isn't my best feature, but i'll work on it." or "so what if i have a big nose? i've got great eyes."

Kaybear said...
on Sep. 30 2009 at 11:56 am
I this this was the best article that I've ever read. This topic has been the downfall of my life as a teenager. Thank you for writing about this.

MangoMadness said...
Rock on! I don't think this stuff is funny, and it confuses me that other people do. These girls feel horrible about themselves, they've probably been made fun of for their weight. Making fun of them for their way of losing it will probably just bring out more of those teenagers who go to school and kill everyone they see. Not good.