In Defense of Corporal Punishment | Teen Ink

In Defense of Corporal Punishment

Over the years, the once common practice of corporal punishment has been ousted in the western world. With this seemingly humanitarian advent, the beating heart of society (no pun intended) has effectively been removed. Corporal punishment cultivated the education and advancement of man in a way that no other form of encouragement could. Without the ridged structure that corporal punishment provides to otherwise lost souls, America has lost its leading edge in world affairs.

Dale Carnage once said "the only way to make a person do anything is to simply make them genuinely want to do it." It is thereby logical to utilize the cheapest and most efficient incentive, the threat and administration of pain. In this Orwellian era of cowards and communists, some individuals point to "scientific studies" and "rational thought" that tells them corporal punishment can lead to a life of domestic crime and brain trauma. These scholastic fictionalists fail to see the larger picture. Mankind has thrived from ancient times using these techniques. Or do they think that our primitive forefathers won out to every other spices to become dominate with positive reinforcement? The name of the game is pain, and it remains relevant even in these modern times. Einstein was beaten as a child and he came out just FINE.

Corporal punishment, not only effective as encouragement, is pleasurable for the purveyor. In the time of the eleven dollar movie and the skyrocketing cable fare, god has blessed man with a free source of entertainment that endures all economic conditions. Often times, opponents such as children or spouses will act up at times of heartache, distress, disappointment, or insecurity. Some respond to the pressure of these indignant pests by drinking, smoking, binge eating, depression, or a myriad of other unhealthy repercussions (not that these are necessarily bad things in moderation). In addition to quieting the party responsible for these health issues, corporal punishment revives the victim, whose stress is instantly eased from the first lashing.

Not only is corporal punishment right, it’s legal too. According to a certain recently released memo, "pain and suffering is best understood as a single concept, not distinct concepts as pain as distinguished from suffering". This memo released for review at a federal level and signed off on by the president, continues to state that as they are not committed simultaneously, pain or suffering are valid forms of punishment. If it’s good enough for the oval office, it’s good enough for you. So next time you have the urge to sooth your mind, body, and soul, don’t turn to reading or education, everyone knows the liberal elite invented words. In fact when used in quantities, words can disorient and confuse (conditions, might I add, easily treated with a little bit of corporal punishment). I honestly hope this is the last essay you ever read, I know it’s the only one you'll need to. Don’t turn to the films or spas either. We were all born with our god given extremities. Use them or move to France.

I hope by now you feel utterly belittled and patronized. And you should. The points I've presented are common place and obvious. It’s time that these traditional values be used in every American home. Now go out and be a citizen of the world. Copy this article and send it to your school board president, your congressman, your governor. They will one-day thank you and you will one day be thought of as a hero, a champion of civil rights and humanity. Don’t wait, the time is now. And remember, if anyone objects to your views, a little well placed encouragement is almost always enough to persuade them.

In Defense of Corporal Punishment (disclaimer: I am aware this is written from a ludicrous perspective). It is inspired by the logic and justifications used by radical right and left wing pundits. Logic of which I hope I have recognizably emulated and proxied in my writing

Auther said...
on Jul. 5 2009 at 5:08 pm
Hold up there cowboy, didn't you read the disclaimer under the article, its a satire. I'll take it as a compliment that you thought it was written by an actual person with those values though (rare and dieing breed).

on Jul. 1 2009 at 6:54 am
nolongerinuse SILVER, San Antonio, Texas

“Love has no desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.” - Kahlil Gibran

I have to say I disagree. You could learn a thing or two from the Dalai Lama. There are many people who do not respond positively to corporal punishment, whether because of disabilities of any sort or because that's simply not the way they learn. It also tends to make people coldhearted and sulky. I hardly think we need any more of that in our society. Finally, I must say that pain does not explain why the person did wrong. Pain tells them to act up when you're not looking, rather than what they did was unnacceptable. I do not intend nor expect you to change your way of thinking by reading this. I merely seek to show you my veiws and hope that they may help you on your way to wisdom.