Freedom of Speech | Teen Ink

Freedom of Speech

By Bunkwell SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Bunkwell SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Kindergarten to Senior year of highschool, every morning starts with my right hand over my heart, and reciting the pledge of allegiance. “I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under god, indivisible with liberty and justice for all…” The words stated in the Pledge of Allegiance are very strong words, representing our freedom, and our strength as a country.

Indivisible: “Something that cannot be broken up or divided: it’s rock hard” Our country. Rock hard. The first amendment. Rock hard. The right to say what you want within limits. Given to us by the soldiers that fought hard for our country.

Liberty: “The state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views.” Having liberty in our country gives our country variety. It allows us to have our own opinions, be ourselves. It allows us to communicate with others without judgement.

Justice: “A concept of moral rightness based on ethics, rationality, law, natural law, religion, or equity. It is also the act of being just and/or fair.” We all are given justice, by being fair. Allowing to hear others out for their opinions, and not being faced with a consequence.

Freedom of Speech is not just saying what you want to say when you want to say it. It is a symbol of success given to us by our soldiers who fought hard for our country. Everytime a lightbulb turns on in your brain, and you want to share your ideas with others, remember that soldiers died for your right to do that. Our country is special, filled with freedom to aspire to be who you want to be, don’t waste it.