Feedback on "What We Lost in the Hurricane" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "What We Lost in the Hurricane"

April 24, 2018
By HugoZ SILVER, New York, New York
HugoZ SILVER, New York, New York
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“What We Lost in the Hurricane” written by Gabriela M. is a beautifully constructed piece that tells a truly tragic story. When Hurricane Maria hit, many people were injured and there homes were destroyed. It was just last year when this horrible natural disaster struck Dominica and Puerto Rico, and I think of it as one of the worst disasters there. Personally, I myself have never experienced a hurricane that has actually affected me. My brothers were at my aunt's house when Hurricane us so they were hit pretty badly. However, I was at home during it so my area was fine from any damage. However, Gabriela was hit really badly, and she even wrote that the lucky people there where the ones whose homes were not completely destroyed and that makes me think. They were all very unfortunate to be hit so hard, and though I can’t relate to what Gabriela is saying, I can sympathize for her as well as everyone else that was hit hard by a hurricane, tornado, etc.


A line that really stood out to me during the piece that she wrote was, “Some say Hurricane Maria hit our island as a category 5, others say 4, but to us “lucky” folks it felt like a 10.” This line really felt special to me because, it basically says that you don't know what other people are really going through unless you go through it yourself. The people who studied the hurricane stated that it was a 4 or 5 on the scale, but when you are in the moment when the hurricane is there. When the wind is so fast it could cut your face, and water floods across the street so high that is seems like a nightmare, that is when you can truly understand how it feels and why people were really sad about this event.