Feedback on "Egg Salad Sandwiches" This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

"'Today's unhealthy food of the day is eggs! Not only are egg yolks high in fat, but they're also high in cholesterol! So get that egg carton out of your fridge right now-'" Caroline O. begins her powerful piece, "Egg Salad Sandwiches," bringing readers directly into the scene. In the dystopian society Caroline creates, every day, an unhealthy food is banned. The narrator strongly disagrees with the government controlling its citizens' way of life, especially since her sister, Cecilia, is so negatively affected by these regulations. Her life becomes monotonous simply because she is only worried about eating excessively healthy and not being fat. Through the ideal combination of dialogue and sensory details, readers learn about what happens to this world and how each of the characters react to its strict rules.

Since eating disorders are very common nowadays, I was able to make a text-to-world connection. If we fret over what we eat so dramatically, there will be no time to enjoy life while it lasts. We should treat our bodies with kindness, but not to the point where we cannot even savor a minute egg salad sandwich. As the piece progresses, it becomes apparent that the government's plan did not work as hoped. Cecilia falls extremely ill and the narrator and her younger brother, Ryan, who were rebellious, yet intelligent, enough to defy the unreasonable orders, lived to tell their stories. The article conveyed a deep message about the twisted mentalities of our nation's inhabitants. Caroline helped spread awareness about this through a breathtaking story, and hopefully, all of her audience took away that the sole number we see on a scale does not define who we are. We are composed of intricate details that make all of us unique and precious souls that should never be abused.