Review of Egg Salad Sandwiches | Teen Ink

Review of Egg Salad Sandwiches

January 21, 2018
By Emmap2550 GOLD, New York City, New York
Emmap2550 GOLD, New York City, New York
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Today’s unhealthy food is eggs!” Can you imagine waking up everyday to an antagonizing announcement from the government telling you what you can or cannot eat that day? The authors, Caroline, brilliantly describes a world where everything revolves around calories and nutrition, and citizens are forced to follow these dietary rules. In the story, Mattie, the narrator, unwillingly accepts these commands, while occasionally disobeying them when they get too ridiculous or when her little brother, Ryan, just needs to eat. In this horrifying society, when someone decides to not follow these strict rules, they could be reported and “taken away,” like the sibilings’ mother, which is why Mattie’s sister, Cecilia, is so determined to submit before these guidelines. The two sisters often get into arguements: for or against these orders. Mattie goes on to describe that Cecilia died a couple years later because she had starved herself. However, many can argue that the government was just trying to keep the people healthy and aware of what they were eating. But at the end of the day, we can all just agree that it’s lucky that we don’t live in that world.