Feedback on Ode to Rice | Teen Ink

Feedback on Ode to Rice

December 12, 2017
By HugoZ SILVER, New York, New York
HugoZ SILVER, New York, New York
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Who doesn’t like a steaming bowl of rice, I know that I do. “Ode to Rice” by Kristof Cseh is an article that stuck out to me the most with both the title as well as the wording provided in it. The title “Ode to Rice,” in my opinion, is a great title to describe the piece. A poem dedicated to rice, that's what I like to read. It is a short piece dedicated to rice, and only rice. I like this because I am able to greatly relate to this piece.
As an asian, I can say that I have a lot of experience with eating rice, I eat it almost every day. Thought it doesn’t contain a lot of flavor, it still has small bursts of flavor that goes well with anything you eat. One part of the ode that I really loved was “Rarely is your majesty appreciated; All that others see is blandness and no taste” These sentences really brings out the writers significant thought of rice, compared to others. It is a staple crop, and not only does the writer notice that, Kristof recognises rice to be like a saint, a god. People all believe rice is just pellets of bland, it doesn't bring anything to the table, unlike the regular meats or vegetables. Only when the rice is gone will they understand the meaning that rice brings every night. This piece was a creative one, executed perfectly, and I’m glad that it was published. For this piece, I give it 5 pellets of rice out of 5.