Feedback on Should We Take Down Rebel Statues? | Teen Ink

Feedback on Should We Take Down Rebel Statues?

By Lucy_RK GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Lucy_RK GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Dear “Molly,”

First off, I would like to acknowledge you for putting your thoughts and ideas out there. On another note, however, I must disagree with your opinion.

You state in your article, “Should We Take Down Rebel Statues” that “it is important that we remember and honor those who have made sacrifices for our country, even if they weren't from the north side of the Mason-Dixon line.” However, should we really honor those who fought for slavery? Should we memorialize those who fought against the freedom of human beings just because of their race? You are right, the statues do make people angry. But it is also for a valid reason. There is still racism in this country, and it is best that we do not encourage it by honoring people who promoted it.

Another thing you mention is the fact that many families have ancestors that fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War. Although this is a big deal for many, you fail to look at the other side of it. I want you to imagine that your ancestors were slaves that were freed from the Emancipation Proclamation and/or the 13th amendment. The end of the Civil War changed lives for many families who were slaves. So, we should take down statues that depict people that oppressed them.

Yes, it is part of our history. And yes, it is important that we acknowledge it. But it doesn’t have to be as prominent as a statue in the middle of a public park.