Feedback on Overheard This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

“creak.

thud.

’honey, please.’

pitter.

patter.

’don’t leave.’

swoosh.

whack.

’love’s a sham.’

hush. click.

the door

slams.”

These remarkable words come from “Overheard” by aspiring writer Maeve Brennan. Every word of this piece was powerful and emotionally evoking. She took poetry to the next level by conveying a strong message about how love can be hurtful at times. Those who one needs most in his or her life can often disappear instantaneously. Maeve possesses undeniable talent, and this piece, in particular, was one of the best I have ever read from Teen Ink.

It’s a bit difficult for me to relate to this piece on a personal level, but everyone experiences remnants of tough ends of relationships. It’s such a real issue in today’s society, and we seem to be constantly surrounded by it. Lines like “love’s a sham” and “the door slams” forcefully brought sadness to me and assisted me in developing a connection with the narrator. With such a minimal amount of words, each one had to be selected so meticulously, yet every letter seemed to be perfect. What Maeve was able to do with twelve short lines of verse was absolutely magical and beautifully showcased her inexplicable abilities as a poet.

maeve15This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 16 at 2:28 pm
aww thanks Alyssa! You're the absolute best!