A Lighthouse in Hurricane Harvey | Teen Ink

A Lighthouse in Hurricane Harvey

By kmansfield SILVER, Holgate, Ohio
kmansfield SILVER, Holgate, Ohio

A writing titled “A Lighthouse in Hurricane Harvey,” written by Lauren Y. talks about how her town in Texas was changed by the affects of Hurricane Harvey and how things never would be the same. Her writing left me feeling sad. This article tells about how your normal day can turn into a life or death situation in the blink of an eye. When you are given a warning to evacuate, there is no way of knowing how much devastation and destruction there will be until returning back home. It states that in the article “A Lighthouse in Hurricane Harvey,” “Hundreds of thousands of people will return to their flood-stricken homes only to tear them apart from the inside out and completely rebuild their lives.” She also states, “Never before had I witnessed so many fellow Houstonians, Texans, and Americans drive their boats hundreds of miles to pull people out of the flood waters, or open up their homes, businesses, and schools to others as shelters. The power of a nation and world coming together is truly a lighthouse amid the storm.” A little school like Ayersville had a coin war and donated the money to a school in need after the hurricane.