Feedback on 2:19 A.M | Teen Ink

Feedback on 2:19 A.M

By proudly-nerdy SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
proudly-nerdy SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"One of the hardest things in life is having words your heart can't utter" - Darth Vader (James Earl Jones more precisely)
AS WELL AS:
"AAAAARRRRRHHHHHHHUUUUNNGGGGHHHH" - Chewbacca (gets me every time :(

Death. We all fear it; fear the outcome of what happens after; fear the possibility that we could be forgotten. Yet, as I was reading Ro Aliha’s 2:19 A.M, the way I view death had slowly begun to change. In the beginning, death had been nothing more than a tragic event; a fearful necessity of life. By the end, however, I saw Death as a person. Perhaps not a human, but a living thing. One with emotions and understanding. A living being that felt sadness and loneliness for the fear and negativity given to it. Ro Aliha had not revealed Death as the narrator in the beginning, thus giving the story a mysterious sense - one that kept readers on their toes and wanting more. In 2:19 A.M, Aliha had skillfully given readers an insight into the mind of Death, presenting him as a companionable yet lonely figure who simply aims to console you and give you someone to talk to. As I read, I realized that Death - the figure who listens to anything you have to say - guides you towards the path of the unknown; the path after death. Death appears to help you adjust and give you comfort when you need it most. Ro Aliha had incorporated the sadness and loneliness Death feels brilliantly into the story, giving readers a sense of sympathy for Death before they even knew it was him. Throughout the story, readers get a sense of Death’s character and, by the end, realize that Death talks to you to bring you to your paradise; a place where you would be happy and feel no sadness. 2:19 A.M masterfully shows that Death - although a fearful notion in itself - is not something we should fear and ignore throughout our lives, but rather acknowledge it to happen when the time comes, and embrace it just as we embrace life. For Death is not a tragic event that should mourn the end of your life, but rather an exciting step into the unknown; into a new path. In 2:19 A.M, we see Death not as something we should fear, but rather rejoice.