Feedback on Your Locker, Now that You're Gone This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

"Maybe a small part of me is happy that this isn't your locker anymore. Maybe I'm happy that there's no chance of seeing your face in the haunted hallways... Maybe I'm happy you're not here anymore." These powerful lines from "Your Locker, Now that You're Gone" by Xander B. establish the initial indecisive tone of the memoir, which transforms into a thoughtful choice. After all, the writer was the one who fled from an abusive relationship with a female. He did the right thing. He should appreciate the kind-hearted nature of the girl who renovated his old, hurtful friend's locker and turned it into her own, indelibly wiping away any remains she had left of the mean-spirited personality, right? Although Xander still seems unsure of whether or not he had no other options but to leave his friend, I can assure him that this decision was wise. No one deserves to be treated as if they are worthless. You matter, Xander, and I feel obliged to reveal my gratitude toward you for writing an incredibly impactful and intimate piece.

I am well aware that abusive relationships are an extremely realistic thing in today's society, and that by all means, they should be avoided. Nevertheless, your work evoked more questions from me and caused me to seriously contemplate why people are the way they are. It brought vivid emotion to me, and I felt so connected to Xander that by the end of the memoir, I felt the urge to begin sobbing. That's how influential his writing was. He even explains that despite knowing all about abusers, he refused to accept the possibility that this could happen to him. The final paragraph, in particular, left me struck by how gifted the author of the article was. It states, "But it did. And I was lucky. Because I left. I left you and any chance of an "us" because you were the most poisonous person in my life. And I'm glad beyond belief that somebody else uses your locker now." Wow! These words crawled up my skin like shadows lurking in the dark, and sent shock waves to my brain, consistently reminding me how brave Xander is for sharing this painstaking experience with the readers of Teen Ink. I commend you for using the strength to do what was best for you, and always remember to show compassion to that girl who uses her locker now.

alsouThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 3:02 pm
i love this so so much!!! great work!!!!! your imagery when talking about the emotions the piece made you feel is gorgeous omg

alyssa0401This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 4:11 pm
Awwww... thanks so much, Alsou! This means so much to me!!!