Review of League of Denial | Teen Ink

Review of League of Denial

By AlexDeSota SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
AlexDeSota SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

“League of Denial”, written by Mark and Steve, was surprising. Their writing about getting brain damage from football careers left me feeling informed and alerted. I agree that after a career of playing football and after getting hit in the head many times that it can cause long-term brain damage. I’m surprised that a lot of people that had long football careers didn’t even know that they possibly could have brain damage. I can see the same issue happening to me because I have played football for four years, and I plan on playing for eight more years throughout high school and college. I believe the story is written well, and the arguments and statements are valid and strong points that players have to make the choice of whether or not they want to continue their career or end it and not risk getting long-term brain damage. Many health experts have said that they are just starting to understand these injuries and hope that one day they can find a way to solve these problems and hopefully find a way to fix it. A doctor said that “the brain of a boxer, an old person with alzheimer’s disease, or someone who just had a severe head injury” is how Center Mike Webster’s brain looked like after a long football career.  Dr. Bennet Omalu said, ‘‘If 10 percent of mothers in this country would begin to perceive football as a dangerous sport, that is the end of football.”