Response to "Is Marching Band a Sport?" | Teen Ink

Response to "Is Marching Band a Sport?"

By vsroufe BRONZE, Ayersville, Ohio
vsroufe BRONZE, Ayersville, Ohio

The writing titled “Is Marching Band a Sport?” written by Avery J., was informative. Her writing about marching band left me feeling happy for someone to prove marching band is actually a sport. In her writing, she talks about why marching band can be a sport. She writes, “A dictionary definition for athletic is ‘involving the use of physical skills or capabilities such as strength, agility, or stamina.’” The author then goes on to talk about how marching band fits into that definition. She says marching band is an athletic activity. Next, she talks about different marching styles such as roll stepping or high step. That counts for agility. Then, the author talks about people who carry the heavy instruments. Quads weigh 55 pounds and a tuba weighs 50 pounds and there is strength. The shows at half time and pregame, which last about 12 minutes, count for stamina. “We’ve got all three,” the author says as she closes off her story by saying marching band members put enough time and effort into marching band as a football player would football. In conclusion, marching band is a sport, and I agree.