No, You Can't Say the N-Word | Teen Ink

No, You Can't Say the N-Word

By abriltorres BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
abriltorres BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

After reading the article, "No, You Can't Say the N-Word" by Chidinma Agbo, I feel like it emphasized the division in our country that I already knew existed. Agbo's portrayal of non-black people's desire to say the n-word is something, I believe, all people should read, as this knowledge is valuable and necessary to the healing of this nation and the damage racism, prejudice, and ignorance has caused. Most non-black people who insist on on saying the n-word don't understand what Agbo is saying when she says, black people can say it because they "are united in the struggles that [they] have faced and continue to face" by that word, while non-black people who say it, only "prevent the healing of wounds that slavery caused." It is paramount that people educate themselves on this subject and become enlightened on the offensive and country-dooming context this word carries. I found Chidinma’s article extremely moving and powerful. My gratitude goes out to Chidinma and her courage for publishing this article and joining the fight in battling ignorance.