Is Marching Band a Sport? | Teen Ink

Is Marching Band a Sport?

By Blank_NL BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Blank_NL BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

Chess is no different from tic-tac-toe!

As soon as I saw the title "Is Marching Band a Sport?" in this month's TeenInk issue, it was as if my name was being called. Avery Jones is able to relate to what band kids always go through during the season of marching band, connecting to an experience that most band kids have had. Avery has been able to support the definition of a sport, being "involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, such as strength, agility, or stamina" and has properly connected it to how band kids perform on the field, with the "versitality of motion". The author creates this sort of feeling of justice to the band kids that believe marching band is a sport, and although many people may just think that it's just walking around the field with instruments,  to many of us, it is certainly much more than that. We may not always receive the honor of marching band being recognized as a sport, but it is something that many band kids do enjoy doing, and Avery has been able to recognize the hard work that band kids give towards this activity, being something that we desire to do and dearly love.