When Silence Is Injustice | Teen Ink

When Silence Is Injustice

By Lezly.Ibarra BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Lezly.Ibarra BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

I wholeheartedly agree with Emma S. in her article,"When Silence Is Injustice." When you're one to follow stictly upon rules of respect and have "to do what [you were] told," it only becomes more difficult to speak up against those who at the moment who seem to have more power.

I connected very deeply to this article as I had a similar experience of seeing a discriminative argument, various years back. Once at a grocery store an elder woman seeming to be in her mid 50's, agressively yelled at a Mexican woman as she was trying to get down the aisle and accidently bumped into her cart. Of course the  woman not being able to understand timidly excuse her self and said "I'm sorry," and moved along along to pay at the cash registers. But the eldery woman had no mercy, nor intent to forgive her  and instead bashed her and continued to say horrible discriminative verbal abuse, I felt terrible that I did not even ask her to stop or apologize on her behalf. The woman had no chance to defend herself. I was pulled away by my parents, since all I did was stare, which is how I failed to speak "up in the face of injustice."

So therefore, I would like to thank you Emma, for showing and trying to interpret the fact of being able to speak up even for those who do not know it is important, so we all make our voices the justice.