Feedback on Grandfather This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

“Grandfather” by Milo L. has brought me to tears. He captures the feeling of loss so perfectly in just 35 lines. Even if you never lost anyone, you are able to feel the pain that he feels.

Milo described his grandfather’s voice in such a way that you can hear him. You feel connected to a person you never knew. You grieve for his death, even though you never met him. You get afraid that maybe someday, Milo will forget his grandfather’s face.

The main reason why I connected to this piece was because I lost my grandfather too. In the summer between first and second grade, my grandpa suffered a stroke. When he was being discharged, something went wrong and he was gone. I cried myself to sleep for more days than I can remember and I wondered why I couldn't cherish every moment I had with him before he passed.

I didn't want to think about him, but every single thing I saw was tying back to him. It was like a nightmare that I couldn't wake up from.

Every time I picked up the phone, I prayed that my grandpa was the one on the other end. But he wasn't. I had to learn to accept that.

I still remember his voice, his face, the clothes he wore, and his smile. His image never left me. I still remember his favorite baseball cap and his iced milk tea.

Teens that lose someone have to understand that things will get better. It may seem like the end of the world for you, but it's not. Maybe they left for a reason. Maybe they left so you can learn.

Things will get better. I promise.