Grandfather This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Grandfather,” a poem by Milo L., brought me to tears. Milo captures the feeling of loss perfectly in just 35 lines. I could feel the pain that he feels.

Milo describes his grandfather’s voice in such a way that you can actually hear him. You feel connected to a person you never knew, and you grieve for his death. You worry along with Milo that he’ll forget his grandfather’s face.

I connected to this piece because I lost my grandfather too. I cried myself to sleep more nights than I can remember. Every time the phone rang, I prayed that my grandpa would be on the other end. But he wasn’t. I had to learn to accept that.   
I still remember his voice, the clothes he wore, and his smile. I can picture his favorite baseball cap and his iced milk tea.
Teens who lose someone have to understand that things will get better. It may seem like the end of the world, but it’s not. I promise.