Lilac Pajamas and Lady Gaga Fans This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

"Lilac Pajamas and Lady Gaga Fans" by Jacob P. can be considered offensive for many members of the LGBTQ+ community. Jacob talks about how he didn't want people to see him as "too gay."  He explains that he "devoted his life" to appearing straight to his peers. This is what bothered me about the piece. He didn't want to be seen as the "stereotypical" gay male, so he attempted to act like, from his perspecitive, a straight male. However, I believe that there is no specific way in which a homosexual or heterosexual man should behave.

People can act however they want to act. They shouldn't believe they have to behave a certain way based on their sexual orientation, race, etc. We are all human. Everyone is different, yet this article makes it seem like every gay person on Earth is the same. Jacob states, "I would wake up, dress in sweatpants and an drab T-shirt in an attempt to make myself as unostentatious as possible. I wasn't like them. I wasn't 'that kind' of gay." In this line, he not only made it seem as though straight people dress and act the same way, but that gay people can't be seen wearing the description he protrayed. I have many friends who identify as straight and don't care how they look or speak. Something as small as your sexual orientation shouldn't define you.

In conclusion, I believe this article portrays the fact that he thinks all homosexual people are the same. I completely disagree, and think anyone can be who they want to be. Jacob had good intentions when writing this piece, but it was offensive to my peers and I.