Feedback on "Don't (Get) Rape(d)" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Don't (Get) Rape(d)"

By marchayes03 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
marchayes03 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

“Don’t (Get) Rape(d),” by Katherine Ong, is truly a disaster.  Yes, rape and sexual assault are awful.  However, as terrible as they may be, the author makes the heinous claim that songs influence men to attack women sexually.  Sorry to break it to you, but Nicki Minaj’s “Hey Mama,” as Ong brought up, is not going to make a man harm you.
The reasoning behind Ong’s writing is not to inform women and children -- and men, for that matter -- about the dangers of sexual assault or rape.  It’s to bash men.  Ong refers to President Trump for no particular reason other than mocking him and getting away with it. 
Another claim of the author is that dressing regulations for women invite men to touch them. No, not at all.  If anything, it’s just the opposite.  The go-to culprit is “rape culture,” but what exactly is rape culture?  Rape culture is a codename that feminists use for, “all men in America are rapists.”  And no, this isn’t biased.  It’s true, but no one wants to say it.  If wanting a woman to present herself nicely and with respect perpetuates rape in this so-called, “rape culture,” then the believers in this “rape culture” are making a mockery of actual rape victims.