Creating a Culture of Consent This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I found the article “Creating a Culture of Consent” by Gabriela Leseman very eye-opening. She discusses the public’s lack of consciousness about rape and what consent is, saying that “anything other than yes means no.” She uses the recent court case of Brock Turner as an example, explaining why she believes his sentence was too lenient. She balances this with really interesting statistics.
One thing I love about this article is how Gabriela writes about a delicate topic using facts, yet keeps readers enticed. It is certainly important to raise awareness for sexual assault, and I applaud her for educating teens about it. She uses clear logic that made me keep reading.
Furthermore, the statistics she presents are shocking and helped me realize how backwards the judiciary system really is in terms of rape crime. Great job, Gabriela!