Islands in the Stream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

High school hallways, a raging river, ­absolutely! Ariel D. could not have been more correct in her article in the February issue.

Attending a high school with only one floor, two main halls, and about 1,000 students can truly test your ability to make it to class on time and alive. Like Ariel, I still see new people in the halls even by the middle of the year, and with these “new people” come a lot of questions. Ariel is correct in saying that you can learn a lot about people from hallway observations.

If you are looking for the most current gossip, turn to the halls; you may hear more than you really wanted to. In the “real world,” as adults put it, we should look people in the eye and firmly shake their hands. However, just as Ariel looks at the wall to avoid contact with the other lone student in the hall, how often do we see teachers doing the same thing? All the time! Hallway greetings can be some of the most awkward conversations. But regardless of the plethora of obstacles in the hall, we continue to enter these rapids and come out okay.

Ariel, you hit the nail on the head.