Feedback on Living Black

Living Black by Tierra R. really resonated deep within me. Seeing my feelings put into words shocked me, she put every fear, every worry and every thought of black people into a poem.Teirra touches on the sensitive topics such as the colour of black people determining how our life is going to be and what kind of person we are. It was nice to see that we share the same anxieties and it made me want to read even more.

Poems usually don’t faze me much, but this poem, this poem made me sad, but at the same time, happy, happy to see that someone understands. To see that children my age understand the fact that we just can’t be kids anymore, it’s bothersome. It’s bothersome that I am only 13 years old and I leave the house worried not only for myself, but for my 6 year old brother because, due to our skin colour, we are seen as angry, combative, aggressive and hostile. When really, we’re busy trying to fit in and conform into this new society so we can be seen as humans too. So people acknowledge that we do, in fact, matter.