Feedback on Today's Loser | Teen Ink

Feedback on Today's Loser

By sandygoldshteynn SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
sandygoldshteynn SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

As a teenager living in the middle of New York City, social media is all around me, and it has been since I was a small child. I never encountered a problem with it until two years ago, when I found myself fed up with the superficiality of it all, and as a result very rarely use my social media accounts anymore. Although there are some people I know who choose to do the same, I never expressed my true feelings or heard anybody else’s on this topic. Camryn B.’s “Today’s Loser” summarized all my thoughts on social media in the perfect fashion.

Camryn started off the piece with the line, “I want to experience life with my own eyes instead of through a lens,” which left a strong impression on me. She then continues to voice her dismay over society’s focus on “getting our fifteen minutes of fame instead of creating something that will last a lifetime.” I notice this all the time, with the rise of viral videos and people who became famous overnight. Camryn prides herself on on being a “loser” and refusing to partake in all the nonsense social media inevitably brings about. After reading her wonderfully crafted piece, I guess that I, too, am “today’s loser,” and I'm completely fine with that.