Feedback on "To Be a Princess" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "To Be a Princess"

By ImogenGF SILVER, Brooklyn, New York, New York
ImogenGF SILVER, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"To Be a Princess" by Maya V. is a touching true story that describes a young girl who entered a beauty pageant to give her little cousin Anika hope and challenge racial stereotypes. She rehearses for months in anticipation of the big day. Although she doesn't win the pageant, her efforts are not lost on Anika. Just after the pageant she is greeted by an excited Anika asking to be a princess and recognizing her as one. She has an important realization that it isn't important to be recognized by pageant judges but to see the true "princesses" for herself.

As an older sibling and a part Mexican teenager, this article is an inspiration to me. The way that the author challenges societal stereotypes peacefully is a good example that deserves recognition. Her gesture to her younger cousin is sweet and admirable too. I think it is important to continue challenging societal stereotypes in a peaceful way and to set an example for the younger generations to follow. I applaud Maya V. for her kindness and her push for equality.