Feedback on "Their Homeland" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Their Homeland"

By sandygoldshteynn SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
sandygoldshteynn SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

As soon as I saw the title of "Their Homeland" by Erica Selyukova, I was instantly reminded of the stories my Russian-Ukrainian parents always tell me about their homeland. And as I read the piece, I felt as if I was living through these stories, through someone who I had never even met before. Erica talks about how she was sent to Ukraine from the U.S as an eight year old so that she could learn to love her culture and also mature. During her nine months there, she was stunned by the stark difference in lifestyle--the lifestyle that my parents went through, and that I was lucky enough not to experience.
   I formed a connection with each and every line--every word reminded me of what my parents told me, and in every sentence there was an event that could have been a part of my life. It is rare that a short piece like this evokes so many feelings in me, and is so immensely relatable in every sense of the word. Erica's writing emphasized the teachings from my parents about how everything I have in the states is nonexistent in their "homeland". I saw their stories from the perspective of a girl just as confused, but grateful, for my culture and background.