Feedback on "Echoes of Home" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Echoes of Home"

December 4, 2016
By mack3nzi3_ros3 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
mack3nzi3_ros3 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Echoes of Home,” by Sophie Grosskopf, is a dream-like story that makes every reader feel at home. The fiction piece revolves around a girl, who is never named. It tells the story of how when she was younger (and much too young to remember), she lived somewhere, before moving away. The narrator then receives a letter, telling her she has to come back. To come back before what was amazing is gone. She then had a dream, one she had many times before, about being in a meadow, a perfect world. She then finally reaches the place she never remembered; only to find out it was her peaceful meadow, her home.
The reader feels a personal connection with the narrator; not remembering something you know was important or magical. She forgot she ever lived there, such as some will forget what they ate for lunch today, or what their fourth-grade teacher’s name was. Sophie does an amazing job at bringing the story full-circle, and giving us a complete ending. We feel a sense of relaxation, almost like we have been through the same situation. It is a state between reality and fantasy- too perfect to be real, too real to be fake. It doesn’t even feel like a situation, if we can’t remember it. By the time we realize it was a problem, it had already been solved. Grosskopf weaved a beautiful piece of rememberance, which I will certainly remember for many years to come.