Feedback on "The Keeper" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Keeper"

December 4, 2016
By JCR55 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
JCR55 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In my opinion, “The Keeper” by Sarah Jane Matt was a very entertaining read. The short story’s mystery gripped me from the very beginning, and I enjoyed reading about fantasy concepts such as stalling time and fighting nightmares. The thing that amazed me the most about this story was its unique creativity. For example, the Keeper has keys that can mold to fit into any door, and he can enter one of these doors to find himself in a world of everyone’s dreams and nightmares.
   The piece took on a soft side when it reached the part about the Keeper guiding a nightmare away from a child, which I admired. It was heartwarming to see that the Keeper’s true motive was to help spread happiness, as he was shrouded in mystery previously in the story. This part gave the work of writing a good message because I found it reassuring to think of someone watching over us and keeping our life full of good moments.
    I especially enjoyed this piece because it left some parts to the reader’s imagination, such as what the other doors in the Keeper’s hut held behind them. I like to think that each door leads to different aspects or traits of the human mind. I could relate to “The Keeper” because to me, it almost sounded like a story I might conjure up from my own imagination. My stories usually include new or interesting concepts and a character who fights for good, just like the Keeper.