Feedback on "Spaghetti Doctrine" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Spaghetti Doctrine"

December 4, 2016
By VincenzoSurace SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
VincenzoSurace SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My eyes were drawn to “Spaghetti Doctrine” because I am Italian, well that's what most people would say. That is the exact opposite of the message from this piece. The writer, Emma Anderson, was insulted when a racist person started making fun of her culture. The man in the memoir assumed that because she is half asian, she likes to eat rice and noodles.
Each day, it is assumed that because I am Italian, I only eat spaghetti and pizza. People also expect me to be an extremely racist person, which I am not. My close friend have taken to calling me “ Pasta”, which I never took seriously. Recently, people have begun making fun of me, and saying “Oh, you can’t eat this. It’s not pizza.”  I attend an extremely diverse school, and racism exists everywhere. That's why there are the tables where people of the same culture sit in order to not be discriminated against.
Most days, I feel the same way. I feel frustrated that I can be the target of this racism, when other people around me are also targets. Although most people say it a joke and try to be funny, they don't know what it does to the people they make fun of. A few years ago, I was also racist and made fun of people’s cultures. Now, I see why it is wrong and have stopped. It still angers me that people do not see what is wrong with being racist.