I Gave My Grandma a Break Today | Teen Ink

I Gave My Grandma a Break Today

November 18, 2016
By Mikayla24 BRONZE, Phx, Arizona
Mikayla24 BRONZE, Phx, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I can realate to Chole Cramer when she wrote her poem "I Gave My Grandma A Break Today" because my grandmother aslo had these troubles in her life the difficulty of walking and talking. This poem spoke to me because the last few months of her life she was not able to do those things due to a stroke caused by her having diabetes. when I read the part of the poem when it said " difficult living" I thought how diffiult it must have been on my grandmother when she was not abled to do the things she used to. For seven months she could not eat move or talk. To eat through a tube, lyed in bed, and not speak, that had to be terrible to her. It was extremly difficult to see her like that everynight when I went to vist her in the nursery home. She was always such a happy person, she loved being outside around nature, so it was hard to see her baiscally locked up in there. She kept everyone together, and without her things were falling apart. Everynight when I would go visit her I would sit there and just talk to her about my day and catch her up on things that were going on, she would always give me this smile right when I would walk into the room, and when I would leave I would tell her how much I loved her and she would try her hardest tp say it back. This poem made me remember how hard it was on her, and made me realize how incredably strong she was going through all of this, also for how grateful I am that I had the chance to have such an amazing person in my life.