Feedback on Life of an Author This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Chloe C.’s poem, “Life of an Author,” is a synopsis of, as the title states, the life of an author. Although it is only three lines, barely forming two sentences, the piece is the reality of what writers do. It perfectly sums up how we are stuck in the same cycle when we construct a story, a character, a plot, or even a sentence! Chloe, in the form of a haiku, describes what hours, days, and weeks might mean to a writer. It is a beautiful piece that writers should have taped to their desk.

While writing, authors go through the same process over and over again. First we think we are on a roll, write for paragraphs, then go back and delete half of what we wrote. We then go back to the first step and repeat, until we are content with our writing. The poem states, “click tap click tap click click tap, press delete and repeat,” As a writer, I seem to never know how to break free from this endless cycle… but maybe that isn’t such a bad thing. Maybe it helps me see my mistakes and fix them. This way of writing isn’t just a haiku that you can say “Hey, I read this really cool haiku the other day. It was about writers or something,” it is a lifestyle. Using just 15 words, Chloe relates to hundreds of thousands of people, not an easy feat.