Deck the Malls | Teen Ink

Deck the Malls

By Fhorn BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
Fhorn BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York

Anna has constructed a truly amusing memoir on her past experience of Black Friday. She maintains a slight sardonic tone throughout and includes a just parody of the fabled poem, 'Twas Night Before Christmas (“So it’s the night before Black Friday …”). Anna conveys her distaste of the mad state Black Friday can get people in through a number of statements including, “Where we drown out the loveliness and heartwarming holiday of Thanksgiving with rapid consumerism and the voracious drive to buy Christmas gifts at a bargain. One whole dollar?” Then when she describes waiting for the deranged rush to occur, the likeness to an imminent battle is uncanny - the almost palpable feeling of tension before a surge of action. Towards the end of her memoir, Anna then adds some highbrow cinematic humor, comparing the struggles to get over the threshold of Walmart to when Mufasa is trampled to death by “crazed wildebeests” in “The Lion King”. Finally, unable to resist a final quip, Anna ends with a moral to her account - to never underestimate the elderly. All in all, genius.