Feedback on "How I Became A Monster" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "How I Became A Monster"

By VincenzoSurace SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
VincenzoSurace SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“How I Became A Monster” by “Deb” Torrance is a memoir about coming of age. This piece piqued my interest because it was completely relatable. I often feel it is my fault that my parents need to work almost every day of the week to support my siblings and I. Although each of my parents both have a stable income, I can not ask for everything that I want.
Every day, my mother sacrifices her time for us. My brother and I both play for a soccer club that demands $ 3,800 a year as well a $140 per month. My sister attends a dance school that costs over $1,000. All three of us attend a swim team that costs $1,500.My mother has sacrificed her social life in order to work and be our personal chauffeur.
Like Torrance, I try my hardest in school for a brighter future. I want to make enough money for my parents to retire at 50, that way they can enjoy the social life they never got to have.My parents are the most important people in my life and always want the best for what is important to me. Now I want to do anything and will do anything to get the best for them. As stated by the author, this piece was extremely personal to her, and probably took lots of courage to show this to everyone. Most people never realize what their parents do for them, and that is all I think about every day.
Thank you “Deb” for showing me that I am not the only one who feels this way. I hope to see more of your work in the future.