Am I a Banana? And Other Identity Crises | Teen Ink

Am I a Banana? And Other Identity Crises MAG

By MadelynC BRONZE, Alvord, Texas
MadelynC BRONZE, Alvord, Texas
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

“Am I a Banana? And Other Identity Crises” was an intriguing article.  The author of the story, Katherine O., was an Asian girl in a school that was predominantly Caucasian people. She always felt different because she was not white enough, nor was she Asian enough. Her peers called her “white washed.” Her friend had once said, “I forgot I was Asian.” Katherine wrote about a serious struggle that some Asians and other races face, which I think is a very serious problem.

This article appealed to me because of its bizarre title. I had no idea that what I was about to read was really about racial differences. The line that her friend said was what jumped out at me the most. “I forgot I was Asian.” She looked in the mirror and was shocked at what she saw. That’s not something to overlook. I have several friends that are not Caucasian like me, and I know that some of them may experience this feeling at some point-- the feeling of “What am I?” Either they aren’t African American enough, or they aren’t Caucasian enough. I grew up in a predominantly Caucasian school, and I am Caucasian. I had never thought about something like this, and this article truly opened my eyes and made me think deeper than what’s right in front of me.

I am a girl who has been different since I was young. I'm unique and extremely quirky. My full name is Madelyn Irene. I love playing my flute, and I play it at least an hour a day. My favorite color is blue because that's the color of water.

I wrote this because the article really caught my attention with something different than what's usually talked about. I had never heard of something like this before. The article was like me: out of the ordinary.