Why I'm Not a Writer, or Rather Why You Should Be a Writer | Teen Ink

Why I'm Not a Writer, or Rather Why You Should Be a Writer

By trinityk BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
trinityk BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York

When my eyes first skimmed the title of this article, “Why I’m Not a Writer”, I really wanted to sarcastically state, “Well, it looks like you just wrote something”, and then turn the page. But rather than leaving I stayed, the bolded ink in the center of the article caught my attention. “My head is full of spinning, groggy nonsense.” I really relate. I know just how hard it is to actually sit down and convey what you want to say; I’ve written my own stories before and published them.

And so I began reading. The author talks about her daily routine of preparation for school, her life as a student, and her time consumed spent gazing into the future in sights of college. I do the same things she has to do for herself concerning her future; we both go to school. However, my experience with writing is done in my free time away from school. When the author said things regarding how she doesn’t daydream nor does she pretend she lives in another reality, I wished I could reach through the text’s lines and tell her that she doesn’t have to do any of that to write. Writing is not blocking yourself up, thinking about your education/future, or spending hours figuring out what your character had for lunch. You just have to express. From my point of view, one thing the author got right was that writers write for themselves.

That’s why I enjoyed this article.