Headbands | Teen Ink

Headbands

By lew883lfjw BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
lew883lfjw BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York

Headbands by “Lisa”
When I saw the title “Headbands” it took on my interest because I enjoy doing hair. Initially I thought the story she was telling was going to be about something such as growing up, as she said she hadn't touched the headbands for 3 years. I thought the headbands with symbolize youth, as she is now a teenager. As I read on, the story wasn't as I thought. The author begins to tell about her anxiety condition called “trichotillomania”. I hadn’t encountered something such as this before; pulling out hair strands to release anxiety. The story gave me a glimpse into someone else’s perspective. With reading, I learned that that was her way of coping with other things. I was satisfied in knowing that the author took this anxiety problem and turned it around, using it as a blessing and bald patches as battle scars. After completely reading it, I realized, it is about growth, but not in the way I had thought. “Lisa” was resilient and I am pleased that she is putting this behind her and is “marching ahead wholeheartedly and unafraid.”