An Aroma of Reminiscence | Teen Ink

An Aroma of Reminiscence

October 13, 2016
By dinasteingardt BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
dinasteingardt BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     "An Aroma of Reminiscence" by Indre Zalepuga is a story in itself which beautifully reflects on the bond between grandmother and granddaughter through cooking. Her Lithuanian culture is very well incorporated in this piece. Indre describes the process of making kugelis, which is a grated potato pie. By cooking with her grandma, she connected with her, and gained insight on her childhood. Her grandmother recalled the experience of surviving during the end of World War II. This demonstrates how her past played an important role in her personality.

     While reading this, I found myself in agreement with the feeling of comfort I have when I am cooking or spending time with my grandma. As she too, was a survivor of World War II, I look up to her and admire her strength. A quote that resonated with me was "Perhaps when I am her age I will have steel-strong eyes too." Indre's grandmother encouraged her to embrace life and accept the challenges. By speaking with experience, this sparked Indre to aspire to be composed and strong. All in all, this is a heartwarming and wonderfully written story. It conveys the message that it is important to value the memories that shape you into who you are.