Letter to Myself | Teen Ink

Letter to Myself

October 13, 2016
By SaraBethy SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
SaraBethy SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Letter to Myself" by Claire W. really got me thinking. One day I will grow old, I won't be able to do the things that I can do now, I won't be able to wear the same clothes that I wear now, I won't be able to do a lot of things that I do now. In time, everything will change, and time goes by fast. When I grow old I will think back on my life and I will think about all the times I've straightened my hair, or painted my nails, or put on fancy jewelry and clothes with name brands. I will think about all the things I bought and did to "fit in" with society. Everyone says that they are different, but is that necessarily true? We all want to fit in and we all want to be included in a group, we mostly think about the same things, just in different ways.

     

A phrase that I really liked from Claire's writing is "Eyes spinning in their swollen pockets, Searching for a place that she may still call hers." In my opinion, this means that society and expectations have taken over her way of living, that peer pressure and stress have reached its limit and everywhere she looks she feels lost. The world has control over her and she does not like that, but somehow she allows it. The writer is saying that everyone lives up to looking perfect for others, that everyone tries so hard to be smooth, and the perfect skin tone, and they do everything they can to cover up who they really are.

     

I love what Claire wrote so much because I can relate to it. I will admit, I do try to fit in with the crowd. But I can also admit that I don't just do things to fit in, I do it because thats what I enjoy doing. I will not doing anything that I do not want to do to fit in, but many people do. Everyone wants to fit in, but not everyone can.