Feedback on Am I a Banana? And Other Identity Crises | Teen Ink

Feedback on Am I a Banana? And Other Identity Crises

October 12, 2016
By rachen615 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
rachen615 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     When I received the October Teen Ink magazine, I quickly skimmed through the pages and stopped at the sight of the phrase "Am I a Banana?" I was shocked to see that question and had to make sure I was reading the correct words. "Am I a Banana? And Other Identity Crises," by Katherine Ong, explains how being Asian American can sometimes make you non-American and non-Asian at the same time. Ong describes herself as a banana, "yellow" on the outside and "white" in the inside.

     As an Asian American, I was shocked to find what Ong was saying completely true. I never realized how we Asians have to act American when we're around our American friends, liking the same music and food. Doing so, we forget about our Asian cultural practices and continue to be "white-washed." I am in a similar situation with Ong, where I grew up with mostly American friends. It feels wrong to have to act white in order to be accepted from everyone around us.

     The quote I found relatable was "First, Asian Americans still will not be seen as white enough, despite all their efforts; they simply do not look the part. Second, they will not be seen as a Asian enough later." As an American born Chinese, we can't help but to speak English in an American accent, therefore not being accepted as a "true" Asian. Ong's friend, Wendy said that she forgot she was Asian. Initially, I thought it was insane that she forgot her own culture, until I realized I was the same. I look at the mirror rarely, and surprisingly, I even forget who I really am. 

     Everyone should accept who they are, whether they're Asian, African-American, or white. Ong would say "Embrace yo-self." I learned that I shouldn't pretend to be another person to satisfy someone's perspective of me. Near the end, one quote inspired me: "It's okay if you don't fit into white society or Asian society because, quite frankly, life is more interesting when you can enjoy aspects of multiple cultures." Life would be plain if you didn't know who you are.